Connect. Explore. Perform.
Auditions for ACGYO’s Fall 2018 season will take place in August. To be notified when auditions are being scheduled, please email Joseph Williams.
– Participants should have firm command of scale, slur, and arpeggio techniques and be fluent readers in at least first-position.
– Performance of 1-2 pieces. There is no time requirement, but auditionees will be stopped at roughly 5 minutes. Pieces can be from any time period, but should be at or above the level of common intermediate studies by Carcassi, Sor or Brouwer.
– A two-octave A major scale with i and m alternation.
– An excerpt which will be sent to all auditionees in advance. The performance of the excerpt must include all fingerings and dynamics at the set tempo.
– A short sight reading excerpt in first position with simple rhythms provided by the audition panel. Students will have one full minute to look over the excerpt and perform the rhythm, melodic, and dynamic material to the best of their ability.
About the ensemble
Now in its fifth season, the Austin Classical Guitar Youth Orchestra brings together passionate and talented young guitarists from all over our city. This celebrated ensemble has performed for thousands of people in Austin’s most prestigious venues, and has premiered several new works and arrangements. Open by audition to any classical guitarist under 19 years of age, the ACGYO offers members a fun and transformative music-making experience. Join us.
A tuition fee of $150 is required of all ensemble members each semester they participate. Tuition includes all rehearsals, all music, and complimentary admission for up to three guests at events in which the ensemble is featured. Partial payment plans and limited scholarships are available – please inquire.
Students will be expected to fully prepare, with the assistance of their private teachers, all assigned pieces in advance of rehearsals. In other words: they should arrive at their first rehearsal already able to play from the beginning to the end of all assigned pieces at a reasonable tempo.
Students should bring their music (hole-punched and placed in a black 3-ring binder), a pencil, a folding music stand, and their guitar to each rehearsal. Performance attire will be concert black: black long-sleeved shirts or blouses, black pants or long skirts, with black shoes and socks.
ACGYO is generously sponsored by
Dr. Michael Froehls